On 24th February, the renowned shale gas expert, Pawel Poprawa of the Institute of Energy Studies in Poland, will run a workshop entitled “Unconventional hydrocarbons development in Ukraine: considerations from the experience of Poland and North America”
Paweł Poprawa is one of the foremost European experts in unconventional gas and oil and one of the most experienced geologists in Poland. Over the last 7 years, he has conducted a broad range of geological research on shale gas, shale oil and tight gas in Poland and surrounding countries. Having worked at the Polish Geological Institute for 17 years, he joined the Energy Studies Institute in 2012.
Paweł’s main fields of expertise are shale geochemistry, reservoir characteristics, resources assessment and the environmental impact of unconventional gas exploration and production.
Topics to be addressed include:
- US and Canadian experiences in shale gas and oil and tight gas and oil exploration as a model to follow in future European unconventional hydrocarbon resources development (shale, tight, CBM);
- The geological “recipe” for successful exploration of unconventional hydrocarbons. Does the geological setting of Europe allow us to hope for the scale of success seen in the USA? Global geological prospects for shale gas and oil development, specific uncertainties in quantification of unconventional resources;
- The technology of shale gas and oil exploration and production;
- The economic feasibility and challenges for the development of shale gas and oil projects in Europe. The potential impact on the economy and social development;
- The regulatory regime – specific Polish and European challenges;
- The impact of shale gas and oil exploration and production on the natural environment and human health - American and Polish experiences
Download the full Workshop's programme here.